Innovation Scholars In-Residence Scheme
Innovation Scholars In-Residence Scheme(First Batch)
As part of the 'In-Residence' Programme envisaged to encourage the creative and innovative potential of people and open up Rashtrapati Bhavan for greater participation and involvement of common man in its activities, two schemes were launched by the President on 11 December, 2013 to welcome creative persons - writers, artists and innovation scholars to stay in Rashtrapati Bhavan. The details of the Scheme were also placed on the website of the President of India, wherein online application forms were made available. The last date for receipt of applications was 15 January, 2014.
With a view to promote the spirit of innovation and give further impetus to the grassroots innovation activities, the Innovation Scholars In-Residence Scheme was launched. The objectives of the Scheme are :
- To provide an environment to grassroots innovators in Rashtrapati Bhavan to work on a project in hand and take their innovative ideas forward.
- To provide linkages with technical institutions to the selected innovators to strengthen their capacity to innovate; and
- To provide mentoring and support so that the innovations can be used for the progress and welfare of the society.
A Committee with the following Composition was constituted to implement the project.
- Secretary to the President (Chairperson)
- Prof. Anil K. Gupta, Professor, IIM-A and Executive Vice Chair, National Innovation Foundation
- Dr. A.K. Wali, Coordinator, FIIT, IIT-Delhi
- Dr. H.K. Mittal, Secretary, Technology Development Board
- Dr. ShashiBala, Director, DIPAS, DRDO, New Delhi
- Dr. GirishSahani, Director, CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh
- Officer on Special Duty to the President (Member-Secretary)
The terms of reference of the Committee are as follows :
- The Committee will scrutinize all applications received for the 'Innovation Scholars in-Residence' scheme.
- The Committee will design the framework for selection of innovation scholars for this 'In-Residence' scheme keeping in mind the overall objectives of the scheme. It will give preference to young innovators. It will also endeavor to give a wide geographic representation.
- The Committee will shortlist a panel of eight innovation scholars for a year, out of which four scholars will be invited to stay in Rashtrapati Bhavan as an 'Innovation Scholar in-Residence'. The duration of stay in Rashtrapati Bhavan under this scheme will be one month. However, the Committee shall have the discretion to extend the stay for one more month. The time of stay will be decided after consultation with the selected scholars.
- The Committee will receive feedback from the selected scholars at the end of their stay, and on the basis of such feedback, will modify / improve the programme as required.
Pursuant to above, a meeting of the Committee, chaired by Smt. Omita Paul, Secretary to the President, was held on 8th March, 2014 at 1230 hrs at Rashtrapati Bhavan. During the meeting, the entries shortlisted by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF) were presented to the committee members.
After due deliberations by the committee members, eight Innovation Scholars were selected as under :
|Sr. No.||Reg. No.||Name||Innovation Title|
|1||1601140006||Dharamveer Singh Kamboj||Multipurpose processing machine|
|2||1501140048||Gurmail Singh Dhonsi||Compost aerator & tree pruner|
|3||1501140031||Manisha Mohan||SHE - Society Harnessing Equipment|
|4||1601140001||Tenith Adithyaa||Banana leaf technology + Adjustable extension board|
|5||1601140011||Mansukhlal Raghavjibhai Prajapati||Non-stick earthenware and mitticool refrigerator |
|6||1501140057||Jainil S Bhatt||Refrigerator working on open cycle of Liquefied gas|
|7||1301140001||ABDUL KALEEM||Automatic watering system in flower pots|
|8||1601140009||Avinash M B||Self-cleaning functional molecular material|
The first four persons from above list have been invited to join under the scheme. The National Innovation Foundation will work out with four scholars for their joining schedules. Their stay in the Rashtrapati Bhavan will be for a period of one month.