Location: Marble Hall
Wearing the Imperial Crown and the Coronation Robe, George V poses as the new Emperor of India in knee high breeches, white hose and buckled shoes in a three dimensional approach. Along with the oldest Order of the Garter, he wears badge of the Star of India
around his neck suspended from a collar. Made in 1861 for Queen Victoria, the centre of this badge represents her miniature bust on it, enveloped by the lines, Heaven's Light Our Guide. It is surmounted by a five-pointed
diamond star atop his blue robe, held with his left hand.
The other hand seems to be holding the robe here to focus on his right leg in forward thrust. Commissioned in 1916, these statues of the King and Queen were located at the end of the corridors overlooking the forecourt. They were presented by the Maharaja of
Gwalior and Maharaja of Bikaner alongwith a grant of £ 3,500.
Sir Edgar Bertram Mackennal, was an Australian sculptor, most applauded for designing coinage and stamps bearing the likeness of King George V. He was born in Fitzroy, Victoria followed by his education at the School of Design in Melbourne National Gallery
from 1878- 1882.