• Skip to Main Content /
  • Screen Reader Access

Murals & Frescos

Back To Category List
Displaying Item  1  to  1  of  20
  •      
  •      
  • Page  
  •  |    |      
  • of    20     
  •    
  •  

Frescos and Oil Paintings in the Ashoka Hall

Frescos and Oil Paintings in the Ashoka Hall
Frescos and Oil Paintings in the Ashoka Hall

Location: Ashoka Hall

The Ashoka Hall is one of the most beautiful rooms in Rashtrapati Bhavan. It has been called the Jewel Box of Rashtrapati Bhavan because of the beautiful murals decorating its ceiling. Originally conceived as the State Ballroom, the ceiling of the room has a central square painting of Fath Ali Shah and his twenty-two sons.

It is surrounded by frescos done by Tomasso Colonnello, an Italian artist whose family had lived in India for almost eighty years. They were suppliers of ships of the Italian merchant navy serving India from Bombay warehouses. Four more hunting scenes were also added on each side of the focal painting, with Persian inscriptions.

The central square painting was a gift from the Shah of Iran to King George IV (1762-1830). This painting was transferred in 1929 from the India Office Library, London and installed on the ceiling of the then State Ballroom on the instructions of Lady Willingdon. The bearded emperor mounted on a horse is seen killing a lion with his lance. His twenty two sons are shown around hunting deers. Adorned with a sophisticated crown in gold and pearl, Shah portrays his authority over others by his upright posture. Both his hands embrace a lance while striking the upturned lion.

The research and compilation of the E- Catalogue has been realised by Shri VenuRajamony- Press Secretary to the President of India and Ruchi Kumar- Research Associate.
Go to Navigation